Tuesday 23 December 2014

Christmas Carols by Andrew Gant review – surprising stories of how seasonal songs came to be (The Guardian)

In the middle of this year’s carol service you may find yourself ambushed by one of the following random thoughts.

a) “Good my page” (“Good King Wenceslas”). Why isn’t it just “my good page”? Oh, hang on, maybe that’s how it was in the original ... Czechoslovak?

b) “G-l-o-o-o-o-o-r-i-a” (“Ding Dong Merrily on High”). I can’t hold my breath much longer. Actually, I think I might be hyperventilating. I’m definitely feeling weird. I need to hang on to the pew in front.

c) “I Saw Three Ships”. But Bethlehem is landlocked! Isn’t it? If I keep my phone in my handbag, I can Google it during the next reading.

Carols inspire untidy thoughts because ... continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment